Birthday cake is a beloved tradition for people of all ages. It is a symbol of celebration, joy, and happiness. There are many different recipes for birthday cake, but the classic yellow cake with chocolate frosting is always a popular choice. This recipe is easy to follow and produces a delicious, moist cake, perfect for any birthday celebration.
Why is birthday cake important?
Birthday cake is an important part of celebrating birthdays because it is a symbol of joy and growth. It is also a way to show the birthday person that you care about them and that you are happy to celebrate their special day.
What are the different types of birthday cakes?
There are many different types of cakes available, including chocolate cake, vanilla cake, strawberry cake, carrot cake, and red velvet cake. You can also find birthday cakes in different shapes and sizes, such as round cakes, square cakes, and sheet cakes.
What are the most popular birthday cake decorations?
The most popular birthday cake decorations include candles, sprinkles, chocolate chips, candy, and fresh fruit. You can also use a piping bag to create intricate designs on your cake.
Creative birthday cake ideas
Here are some fun and creative birthday cake ideas:
Rainbow cake: This cake is made with layers of different colored cake batter, and it is sure to impress your guests.
Ombre cake: This cake is made with a gradient of colors, and it is a beautiful and elegant option for a birthday cake.
Pinata cake: This cake is filled with candy and surprises, and it is sure to be a hit with kids.
Ice cream cake: This cake is made with layers of ice cream and cake, and it is a delicious and refreshing option for a summer birthday.
Character cake: This cake is decorated to look like a favorite character from a movie, TV show, or book. It is a great option for kids’ birthday parties.
Decorating your birthday cake
Once your cake is frosted, you can decorate it with whatever you like. Some popular ideas include:
Candles are a classic birthday cake decoration, and they come in a variety of colors and shapes.
Sprinkles are a fun and festive way to decorate your birthday cake. They come in a variety of colors and shapes, and they can be used to create different designs.
Chocolate chips are a delicious and versatile way to decorate your cake. They can be used to create different designs, or they can simply be sprinkled on top of the cake.
Candy is a great way to add sweetness and color to your cake. You can use different types of candy to create different designs, or you can simply sprinkle it on top of the cake.
Fresh fruit is a healthy and refreshing way to decorate your cake. You can use different types of fruit to create different designs, or you can simply slice it and place it on top of the cake.
If you are not sure how to decorate your cake, there are many tutorials available online and in cookbooks.
Birthday Cake Recipe
- 2 cups 240g all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups 397g granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon 14g vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract optional
- 1 cup 227g milk, whole milk preferred
- 4 tablespoons 57g butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup 67g vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups 106g natural cocoa powder
- 4 cups 454g confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup 74g hot water
- 1 tablespoon 14g vanilla extract
- 20 tablespoons 284g softened butter
- Preheat the oven to 325°F with a rack in the center. Grease and flour two 8” x 2” or 9” x 2” round cake pans.
- Weigh your flour; or measure it by gently spooning it into a cup, then sweeping off any excess.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract until thickened and light gold in color, about 2 minutes at medium-high speed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just enough to combine. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, then mix again briefly.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter and oil until the butter has melted.
- Slowly mix the hot milk-butter-oil mixture into the batter until everything is well combined. Scrape the bowl and mix briefly, until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Bake the cakes until the edges are pulling away from the sides of the pan, a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, and the top feels set. This should take 26 to 30 minutes for two 9” pans, or 38 to 42 minutes for two 8” pans.
- Remove the cakes from the oven, carefully loosen the edges, and allow them to cool for 15 minutes in the pans. Then turn them out of the pans and transfer them to a rack, right-side up, to cool at room temperature.
To make the frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cocoa powder, confectioners’ sugar, and salt.
- Stir in the water and vanilla, scraping the bowl if necessary.
- Add the butter and remaining confectioners’ sugar, stirring to combine. Beat the frosting at medium-high speed until lightened in color and fluffy.
To assemble the cake:
- Place one of the cake layers on a serving plate. Spread the bottom layer with about 1 cup of frosting. Center the second layer over the frosted layer.
- For the best-looking cake, do the frosting in two steps. First, spread a very thin layer of frosting around the sides and across the top. Refrigerate the cake for 20 minutes to let this layer set.
- Once the cake is chilled, use the remaining frosting to coat it thoroughly and evenly.
Tips for baking a birthday cake
For a three-layer cake, divide the batter into thirds and use three pans.
Cake layers and frosting can be made up to three days ahead, refrigerated, and the cake assembled the day you wish to serve it.
Store the cake, covered, at room temperature, or in the refrigerator if your kitchen is hot. Let it come to room temperature before serving.
No matter what type of cake you choose or how you decorate it, make sure to bake it with love. After all, a birthday cake is more than just a dessert; it is a way to show the birthday person that you care.
If you like this recipe, try our brand-new chocolate mocha cake recipe to keep your baking skills sharp.