Have you ever dreamt of biting into a cookie that resembles a magnificent stained glass window? Well, these Stained Glass Cookies are here to bring your dreams to life!
These colorful and delightful treats combine the deliciousness of sugar cookies with the beauty of crushed hard candies, creating a visual and culinary masterpiece.
Making Stained Glass Cookies is surprisingly simple and perfect for young bakers who want to explore their creativity in the kitchen. So, grab your ingredients and join us on a journey through the world of these enchanting cookies!
The History of a Sweet Tradition:
While the exact origin of Stained Glass Cookies is unknown, their history can be traced back to the early days of cookie baking. Sugar cookies themselves have been around for centuries, originating in Europe and gaining popularity in the United States during the 18th century.
The idea of incorporating crushed candies into cookie dough likely emerged as a way to add vibrant colors and a unique texture to these beloved treats.
Over time, Stained Glass Cookies evolved into a cherished tradition enjoyed by families and friends. They became a popular activity for children, fostering creativity and providing a delicious reward for their efforts.
Today, these cookies continue to delight everyone with their playful appearance and irresistible taste.
Unleashing Your Inner Artist:
The best part about Stained Glass Cookies is the endless possibilities for creativity. You can use various cookie cutters to create different shapes, from hearts and stars to animals and holiday-themed figures.
Experiment with different types of hard candies to achieve a spectrum of vibrant colors. Don’t be afraid to mix and match various candy colors within the same cookie to create stunning designs!
Making Stained Glass Cookies at Home
Embark on a delightful Stained Glass Cookies adventure with this simple yet and enchanting recipe. Each ingredient plays a crucial role in creating the perfect balance of flavors and textures, turning your cookies into edible works of art.
1. All-Purpose Flour (2 1/4 cups):
The cornerstone of your cookie canvas, all-purpose flour provides structure and substance. Whisked together with baking powder and a pinch of salt, this trio ensures a delicate yet sturdy foundation for your sweet creations.
2. Unsalted Butter (1 cup – 2 sticks):
Creamed to perfection with granulated sugar, softened unsalted butter introduces a rich and velvety texture to your dough. This decadent duo forms the heart of your cookies, offering a luxurious mouthfeel with every bite.
3. Eggs (2 large):
Eggs, added one at a time, contribute to the cookie’s moisture and binding properties. They bring cohesion to the dough, ensuring a harmonious blend of ingredients that will hold your artistic shapes flawlessly.
4. Vanilla Extract (1 teaspoon):
A teaspoon of vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor profile, infusing a subtle but aromatic note that complements the sweetness of the cookies. It adds a touch of warmth to the ensemble.
5. Hard Candies (Your favorite, crushed):
Here comes the enchanting element of your stained glass masterpiece. Jolly Ranchers or your chosen hard candies, when crushed, transform into vibrant, translucent “stained glass.” Their sweet allure not only decorates the cookies but also introduces a delightful burst of flavor.
Stained Glass Cookies Recipe
- 2 and 1/4 cups 281 grams all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 170 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup 150 grams granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 15-20 unwrapped hard candies Jolly Ranchers or Life Savers
- 1 large egg white or 2 tablespoons water Optional
- 1/3 cup coarse sugar or sprinkles Optional
Prepare the dry ingredients:
- – In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar:
- – In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until light and creamy (about 2 minutes).
Add the wet ingredients:
- – Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat on high speed until combined (about 1 minute). Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
Combine wet and dry ingredients:
- – Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined. The dough will be slightly soft. If it feels too sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
Divide and chill the dough:
- – Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Place each portion onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out each portion to about 1/4-inch thickness. Dust with additional flour if needed.
- – Place each rolled-out dough onto a separate piece of parchment paper. Lightly dust one dough with flour and place the other rolled-out dough on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 2 days.
Prepare the filling:
- – While the dough chills, crush the hard candies. Place each color of candy in a separate plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin or meat mallet into fine, pebble-sized bits. Set aside.
Assemble the cookies:
- – Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- – Take one chilled dough and carefully remove the top layer from the refrigerator. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes. Cut out smaller shapes from the centers to create “windows” for the candy filling.
- – Optional: If using, brush the tops of the cookies with egg white or water and sprinkle with coarse sugar or sprinkles.
- – Fill the centers of the cookies with crushed candies, about 3/4 full.
- – Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until the candies have melted and the edges are lightly browned.
- – Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 15 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What kind of hard candies should I use?
Any hard candy will work, but Jolly Ranchers are popular due to their intense colors and bright flavors. You can also use a combination of different candies to create unique color combinations.
How do I prevent the crushed candies from melting?
Crushing the candies into small pieces and not overbaking the cookies will help prevent them from melting.
Can I store Stained Glass Cookies?
Yes, you can store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Stained Glass Cookies: A Sweet Ending:
Making Stained Glass Cookies is a fun and rewarding activity that allows you to express your creativity and share delicious treats with your loved ones.
So, gather your family and friends, grab your ingredients, and let the baking adventure begin! Remember, there are no mistakes in the kitchen, only delicious discoveries. Now, go forth and create your own dazzling Stained Glass Cookies!