Red velvet cake is a classic dessert that is loved by people of all ages. It is a moist and flavorful cake with a velvety texture and a delicious cream cheese frosting. It is perfect for any occasion, from birthdays and holidays to special events.
The History of Red Velvet Cake
The exact origins of red velvet cake are unknown, but it is believed to have originated in the United States in the early 1900s. One theory is that the cake was created at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. Another theory is that the cake was created by a Southern baker who used buttermilk and vinegar to react with the cocoa powder in the cake, giving it its signature red color.
Red Velvet Cake Today
Red velvet cake is now one of the most popular desserts in the United States. It is often served on special occasions, such as weddings, birthdays, and Valentine’s Day. It is also a popular dessert in restaurants and bakeries.
How to Make Red Velvet Cake?
Making red velvet cake is relatively easy. The basic ingredients include flour, baking soda, salt, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, buttermilk, vinegar, and red food coloring.
To make the cake, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, buttermilk, vinegar, and red food coloring.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alternately with the buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let the cakes cool completely before frosting.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
To make cream cheese frosting, you will need cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
Stir in the vanilla extract.
How to Assemble the Cake
To assemble the cake, place one layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Frost the top of the layer with cream cheese frosting. Repeat with the second layer.
To decorate the cake, you can use additional cream cheese frosting, sprinkles, chocolate shavings, or other decorations of your choice.
Red Velvet Cake Variations
There are many different variations of red velvet cake. Here are a few ideas:
Chocolate red velvet cake: Add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder to the batter.
Red velvet cupcakes: Simply divide the batter evenly among 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Red velvet whoopie pies: Make red velvet cookies and sandwich them together with cream cheese frosting.
Red velvet cheesecake: Make a cheesecake base and top it with red velvet cake batter.
Red velvet cake is a dessert that can be made in a variety of ways, and it is suitable for any occasion due to its versatility and deliciousness. And we are sure that you will come to adore this incredible dessert just like we do.
Want more of our cake recipes? Try this delicious chocolate mocha cake.
Red Velvet Cake Recipe
For the cake:
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 300 grams
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened (113 grams)
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar 300 grams
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature (240 milliliters)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 2 8-ounce blocks cream cheese, softened (454 grams)
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsalted butter softened (340 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 and 1/2 pounds confectioners’ sugar sifted (5 and 1/2 cups/675 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour three 6-inch cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, buttermilk, vinegar, and red food coloring.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to the butter mixture alternately, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes before inverting them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the cream cheese frosting:
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and salt.
- Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth and combined.
To assemble the cake:
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate or cake stand. Spread with a layer of frosting.
- Repeat with the remaining cake layers and frosting.
- Decorate the cake as desired.
- If your cakes are domed, use a serrated knife to level them off before assembling the cake.
- Be gentle when handling the cake layers, as they are tender.
- To make sure the frosting is smooth, sift the confectioners’ sugar before adding it to the butter and cream cheese.
- For a richer chocolate flavor, use dark cocoa powder instead of regular cocoa powder.
- To make a funfetti cake, add 1/2 cup of sprinkles to the batter.
- To make a marble cake, divide the batter in half and add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to one half. Swirl the two batters together in the cake pans before baking.
Tips for Making the Best Red Velvet Cake
Here are a few tips for making the best red velvet cake:
Use high-quality ingredients. This will make a big difference in the taste and texture of the cake.
Don’t overmix the batter. Overmixing can make the cake tough.
Make sure the cakes are completely cool before frosting. This will help the frosting to set properly.
Be creative with your decorations! Red velvet cake is a beautiful cake, so have fun with it.